By: Tiffany Heath
(Monroe City, Indiana) An area house caught on fire early this afternoon was saved by quick response by local fire departments.
Harrison Township Fire Department was dispatched to 410 West 7th Street around 12:52 p.m. after central dispatch received a call from a neighbor that they could see smoke coming from the vents of the neighboring home.
The Harrison Township Fire Chief, Chad Hanson, stated that the homeowner, Betty Lemons, was not home at the time of the fire. When firemen arrived on scene they found fire and a smoke filled home. Hanson stated that it appeared the stove had been left on.
Fireman were also informed that there was a dog in the residence but were unable to locate him after making entry to the home. After about an hour of ventilation of the home, the dog was located behind the couch in healthy condition. Hanson stated that they found the 3 year-old dog, Maxwell, in the very position and location that they always tell children to be in if there is ever a fire, down low to the ground. He had to be in a spot that had somewhat fresh air to breathe for being in there that amount of time. Betty Lemons was so happy when they finally found the dog and he was carried out to her.
The entire home has severe smoke damage, with the kitchen and living room having severe heat and fire damage. Hanson stated that the kitchen is pretty much a total loss.
The Harrison Township was also assisted by the Steen Township, Palmyra Township and Vincennes Township Fire Departments.
Here is some footage taken by HTN News Team