A Vincennes Township Fireman was injured in a Saturday morning cabin fire in Knox County.
At around 10:15 a.m. Saturday morning, Palmyra Township Fire Department along with four surrounding fire departments were called to a cabin fire on Anson Road.
The home, which was being built by Barna Log Homes, belonged to Mark and Marilyn Anson. According to a witness on scene, construction workers were working on the home at the time of the fire.
Palmyra Township Fire Chief Jeff Jackson says, that the workers had been working and testing the new fireplace when something failed. The call was placed for the fire department.
When fireman arrived on scene, there was smoke coming from the roof and flames coming from the back of the home. Palmyra Township called for assistance from Vincennes Township, Harrison Township, and Steen Township.
Shortly before 2:00 p.m. fire command requested a helicopter to the scene due to an injured fireman. Sources tell HTN, that Vincennes Township Fireman Nathan Miller had been injured.
Jackson says, that shortly after the fire was out and smoke cleared, fireman began to tear down their equipment. That’s when Miller leaned against a 2nd level rail in the loft area. Miller then fell to the first floor.
The medical helicopter that was dispatched to the scene declined travel, due to weather conditions. Miller was transported to Good Samaritan Hospital in Vincennes by ambulance. He was later flown to IU Methodist Emergency Trauma Center in Indianapolis. Miller was listed in fair condition with leg pain.
To see footage from the fire scene, click the player below.